Sunday, May 29, 2011

Finland and I

I just noticed that I haven't told you anything about me or Finland, so I'll do my best to fix it. : DD

This post is not so closely connected to my exchange year, but I will write about those things immediately when I have something new to tell you!

Here is some information and couple of pictures about Finland.

Finland is a country in the northern Europe
  • The Capital of Finland is Helsinki.
  • The population is about 5, 3 million.
  • We have our own language, Finnish.  Finland is a bilingual country, so here are also people who speak Swedish. 
  • Famous Finnish brands are Nokia, Marimekko, Kone and Fiskars
Other things which Finland is famous for
  • Forests and lakes
  • Sauna
  • Lapland, where they have midnight sun, polar night and really beautiful fall colors
  • Santa Clause, who lives in Lapland
  • Ice hockey
We have four seasons, and each of them is very different;

Spring
In spring the daily temperature is about 10°C.  Spring starts in April or May, depending the place.  Spring ends when all of the snow has melted and temperature raises over 10 degrees.








Summer
Summer is the warmest time of a year, and the temperature stays above 10 degrees.  It can raise all the way up to 25-30 °C.  Summer starts late May in southern Finland and lasts until the middle September.  In Lapland it starts about a month later and ends a month earlier.







Autumn
In autumn the daily temperature remains below 10°C.  In northern Finland autumn starts in lasts weeks of August, elsewhere it starts a bit later.  Autumn ends when the first snow falls. In northern Finland that happens in September and elsewhere in October.  Finnish autumn is famous for its colorfulness.








Winter
In winters we have a lot of snow, and temperature remains under 0°C.  Winter is the longest season; it lasts 100-200 days depending on the place.  In Lapland the temperature can be -50 degrees, elsewhere the lowest temperature is something between -35°C and -45°C.






That's all this time, I'll write more soon, I promise!

Greetings from sunny Finland,

Liisa 

No comments:

Post a Comment