Sunday, May 15, 2011

SINGLEton


I finally know where I'm going to spend my next year!  The city is called Singleton, and it's quite a little place.  I read that Singleton is located 200 km north west of Sydney and 80 km inland from Newcastle.  So it's just a little over one hours's drive from Newcastle and less than three hours' drive from the center of Sydney.  I've been searching pictures and other information from that place, and I really like it!  First I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to go to a big city, like Sydney.  Now, when I know something about Singleton, I'm very happy that I'm going there. I think that it's the right place for me, and I'm really looking forward to my exchange there!

Yesterday I was in my last training, but before I'll tell you about that, I will make (or at least TRY to make) a little summary about Singleton.  So:

  • There is about 21 500 citizens.  It's fast-growing place, so the number changes depending the source
  • Singleton lies at the heart of the Hunter Valley, which is famous for its wines and coal mining industry
  • The summer is warm, 35-40 degrees max with overnight 15-20 degrees.  Winters are colder, 12-18 degrees and overnight -2-5 degrees.  I'm from Finland, so in my opinion those winters are very warm, too... : D
  • Summers and winters are dry, but springs and autumns can be wet.  I'm realllly used to that gum boot weather, so no problemos. : D
  • There are mountains and parks, and because I love nature, this is one thing I really like                                                  

This picture IS NOT mine, I found it from here.

And then I tell about the yesterdays 'training'.  This time it was the mandatory nationwide event, I guess I told you that last time.  We had many different lessons, which contained information about visa, insurance, rules, flights, and of course living abroad.  There were lots of experienced people, so the whole session was interesting, though it lasted so long.  The weirdest thing was trying on the Rotary blazers. I liked them. WHAT? Really, I can't believe it, but they looked nice. That was maybe the biggest surprise of the whole day : D

I got a lot of new information, and new things to do.  Now I have to name the airport where I'm going, so the travel agency can book the right flight for me.  I have to think about my business card (sounds a bit odd, but I really have to have them : D) and I have to make pins, too.  They said that I'll need hundreds of business cards and pins. Nice...

Now I stop writing and I'll tell you about my flights and things in Singapore in the next post! :)

Really excited,

Liisa 

p.s. This is a link to Google Maps, if you want to see the exact place: 

No comments:

Post a Comment