Saturday, May 26, 2012

21st

Tonight I'm going to my Australian sister's 21st.  It's actually the first 21st birthday I've ever been attending, because in Finland we only celebrate the 18th.

I've been trying to find out for a long time why do people celebrate their 21st.  I get the 18th; you're no more underage, you can vote, smoke and drink, get married and in Finland you get your license.  But what about when you're twenty-one, what new do you get to do?  Not much.

So far the answer to my question has mainly been that Aussies just want to have a reason to party, but I wanted to know what's actually behind it.  So this is what I found:

-  Back in the day 21 used the be the age limit for most of the rights I described above.  Seems to be that the age of 18 is a 20th century thing
- 21 was a coming of age,  time to step out from the childhood and become an adult
- 21st is still seen as a big milestone when you start seriously thinking about your career and life in the future
- In some countries the age of 21 still gives you the right to drink or get married etc.

That's all my research this time,

Liisa

No comments:

Post a Comment