Thursday, May 24, 2012

Vineyard tour

Yesterday was a student free day, because the teachers of our school were having some kind of an educational day.  As a proper exchange student I decided to go on a wine tour around the Hunter Valley vineyards.  We visited four wineries in total, plus a cheese and a chocolate shop.  And just in addition,  the guide of the tour was Rotarian, so I still have no idea how the famous Hunter wines taste like.  One more reason to come back later I suppose!  (:

So,  the area I live in is called Hunter Valley, and the things we are famous for are wineries and coal industry.  I've already gotten a lot of information about mining and visited a mine here, so now was the time for wine and the vineyards!

Australia is the world's fourth largest wine exporter after France, Italy and Spain, and the area I live in is the most famous wine making area in this state, and remarkable in the whole country too.

Just to tell few more facts, we have over 170 wineries here, which all together produce over 39 million liters of wine annually.  If you want to read more about the industry here, you find your way to the information by clicking this.

Many of the wineries are really small here, so they would only sell their wine at a cellar door and maybe in one or two restaurants nearby.  Those are the places we went to.  Nice, small and friendly.






I also got to know how the wine is actually made.



Besides the wineries we visited a cheese shop, chocolate shop, and a place where they sold different types of oils and balsamic vinegar.  So lot more things for me to test on this part of the tour.  :P  





Wine wizard is my second name,

Liisa

No comments:

Post a Comment