Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ski trip

After my weekend in Tocal my host dad and my two youngest host sisters picked me up, and we drove all the way to Mount Perisher, which is Australia's largest ski resort.  It is  located in the Snowy Mountains, and it's in the Kosciuszko National park.  It's part of the same mountain range as Mount Kosciuszko; Australia's highest mountain (2228 meters).

We drove to Australian Capital Territory, which is a small Territory in New South Wales.  We drove through Canberra, but because it was dark I didn't see that much of it.  At least I can now say I've been there! :D

You can see the whole route we drove from here





In the same lodge there were also three other families with children, but either of them was in my age.  For me it didn't really matter, because we spent most of our time skiing, and after that I was pretty ready to go to bed.  At one night we played games, and as you can see I was allowed to cheat a bit... But seriously, there were no English words with those letters!



Our 'timetable' for each day was like this:

(7.00 Waking up, because this was my time to take a shower)
7.30 Breakfast and getting ready
9.00 After walking a bit down the road; SKIING!!!!!
9.30 Lessons started.  I did only one snowboarding lesson, because I felt like I'm good enough in skiing
13.00 Lunch 
13.30 More skiing
16.30 Lifts closed, so after returning our skis and boards we walked back to the lodge
18.30 Dinner!  Food there was really good, and because we had our lodges own chef we didn't need to make it by our own :)
19.15- Free time.  At this point I was so tired that I was just getting ready for bed
20.30 Sleeping time.  I guess this wasn't the time we had to go to bed, but we were so tired that we didn't even think about staying awake... :D

Skiing here is really different than in Finland, because here it's so special. If I'm back home and I say I'm going skiing, people's answer is 'ok'.  Here when I said that I'm going skiing, one old lady said that I'm a spoiled kid. Nice.  

I prefer downhill skiing rather than cross country skiing, so I really enjoyed the trip. I already mentioned it earlier, but I'll tell it once more; I tried snowboarding! :DD  It was great fun, but I got really frustrated because even after one lesson I didn't get the way how you can get up after you had fallen over.  It was maybe stupid thing to do, but after lunch I went back to the place where you hire stuff and changed back to skis...  But when I go back home I'm definitely trying boarding again! :)

Thanks to my host family for a great experience,

Liisa

No comments:

Post a Comment