Monday, January 23, 2012

Changes

Last week I was asked how do I think this year changes me.  I had to think my answer for a good while, but it ended up being that I won't be scared of new things, and I'm more likely to cope on my own while being satisfied with who I am.  May not make sense, let me explain a bit.

There are couple of values I listed more than a year ago when I applied for this year; goals I wished to achieve and values to develop during my year overseas.  Independence.  Self confidence.  Courage.

I'm quite sure that I'll be more independent when I get back home.  Even though I have a lot of caring people around me here, I still have to take care of my own things and be responsible.  Not that I haven't been before, but I guess after this year I should be better in doing things on my own and finding the solutions to problems.  So living my life without someone always telling me how.

I've never been really self confident, but after meeting a lot of great new people I feel better about myself.  I owe a huge thank you for those few people who have made me think differently.  It's not like when you are an exchange student you go from hating yourself to loving yourself in one day, but I feel like I'm going the right way. :)

Then hopefully I'm able to be more social and get along with different people even better.  Moving to a country where you know no one, starting your life from scratch and then making good friends using different language should be an experience which makes anyone stronger.  And living with people who you don't even know when you move in teaches you to get along with everyone, liked them or not.  So I guess I can say without lying that during this experience you'll become better with people.  Or at least polite; no matter what they are like, keep smiling and be nice 355 days out of 355.  :D

And my last value: courage.  I have never been the shyest person, but definitely not the one always ready to do the craziest things.  Before we left home we were told one rule by old exchange students; always say yes to everything.  Obviously you can think by yourself as well, and I've said no to some things I really didn't want to do, but still this rule changes significantly the way I think.  Even though something doesn't sound like greatest fun, it'll most likely be a good experience and at least you don't end up thinking "Oh should have done that and tried that!" afterwards.  I guess this is something that has made my exchange year really different to my life back home.  And I love it.

So; I'm not saying that before I came I was scared to do new things or talk to people I didn't know well, but after this year I'm way more confident doing so.

Starting to love this again,

Liisa

P.S. I'm off to Newcastle today...again.  Looks like my life continues (surprise) even though almost everyone from Newcastle left the day before yesterday.  I'm happy when I finally got myself to realize that.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment