Friday, November 11, 2011

Armistice day

I didn't really have time to write yesterday, because I spent the whole night at the Singleton army base.  My Rotary club went there to have their Armistice day dinner and hear what the soldiers had to say about the war today and tell the reality of it.

Today I went to school for only one lesson, and after it the principal, all six school leaders and I walked to a little park kinda area near the school, because the Armistice day event we participated was there.  All the 'important' people were there, and the whole thing was really official.  But that's the way it has to be when the whole idea is to honor the people who were killed in world war I.  

After this, Rotary people took me to the city council building where my second and third host mum work.  I was given the honor to be the mayor for five minutes :DD  (I hope I'm getting pictures from all of this so I could share them with you!)

Then we headed to lunch with those soldiers and army bosses, Rotaries and people from other big organizations.  Last night's dinner was official as well, but it was more about the army's point of view; we were at the army base and the solders were giving speeches.  Today it was more like social event and people were allowed to discuss freely.  I happened to sit next to the same army boss who was giving those speeches last night, so obviously we were talking more about that kind of things than other tables.  I have never taken part in lunch or dinner events like this, so my opinion is that some bits can be a bit boring (both of these lasted 3 hours), but mainly I really enjoy them.  It's unbelievably interesting to meet so many new contacts, or sit next to older lady who has so many stories I could never hear enough.

As you may have already realized, Armistice day is a big thing here.  The symbol of it is red poppy, and that's why I got two new pins.



Lest we forget,

Liisa 

Ps. Notice that this was sent at 11.11.11 11.11.11PM  Pretty good, pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment