Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gifts

Usually exchange students bring some little gifts or souvenirs from their countries to give to the host families.  Sounds like an easy thing, but what makes it a bit harder is that you can't take anything big or heavy if you don't want to send them separately and pay quite a lot.  And you also have to realize that you are supposed to give those things to all your three or four families, so in case you are not a millionaire, you may not want to buy anything too expensive.  

Couple of Aussie exchange students have been asking what did I take, so here is a little list:

- A small vase from famous Finnish designer


- A cheese slicer.  This seems to be a weird thing to take, but they are really useful and people here don't have them.  And even though it's not a Finnish invention, it's still from Scandinavia, and it's made by a big Finnish brand.   


- Our salty liquorice.  Only rare people in Finland don't like it, but for foreigners the taste of it can be a bit too much.  I had one spare packet of these, and I opened it at the same day my second host family got theirs.  Now there's one more thing I miss... :D


- Serviettes from really good Finnish brand.  I knew that this brand is sold in other countries as well, but it has really surprised me that I've already seen two people carry marimekko bags in my city.


Only 18 school days before summer holidays,

Liisa

No comments:

Post a Comment